Wednesday, August 19, 2020

About Me

Image Description: Josselyn is taking a picture of themselves slightly smiling, with no teeth showing. They have shoulder-length pink, wavy hair and are wearing clear glasses with a black tank top. 

Hello there beautiful folks! My name is Josselyn or Joss and I am a 24 year old, queer Latinx (they/she). Welcome to Sex and Tranquility! This is sort of an insight into my sex educator brain and what kind of thoughts I have as I find my way into the sexual health education world. I first discovered this drive to make sex education more sex-positive and accessible a few years ago when I took my first human sexuality course in college - and it was MIND BLOWING. I don't think I have ever learned more about myself than I did in that class and it has continued to this day.

I received my B.A. in Sociology and a minor in Sexuality Studies from San Francisco State University. I have also taken a Sex Education training from Planned Parenthood and am a certified Sex Educator through EDSE. I am constantly learning, reading, and listening about any related to sex education. I currently have a special interest in relationships and have been slowly developing my thoughts on how child development and sex education are linked. 

I do want to be transparent and say I am a baby sex educator - I've just been getting started these last couple of years! The posts you'll read here are my own personal thoughts that I've developed through multiple resources and people I have come across from (and they will always be credited). I like to call myself a learning sex educator, especially because I have a deep belief that we, as humans, are constantly evolving and are capable of learning something every single day of our lives, no matter age, certifications, or experience. If you ever read something of mine that you are questioning, would like further explanations, or just want to have a conversation, I am more than happy to do that! My boundaries of course are always treating each other with respect, kindness, and compassion. I am here to learn and I hope you are open to learning as well! You can reach me in any social media platform or email :)

I would also like to say that my work will be interconnected with many other realms as well because they are very relevant in the sex education world. I am constantly learning how to make my work anti-racist, accessible to ALL, filled with equity, checking my privilege, and just an advocate for marginalized communities. This side is always a part of my learning and I am continuously trying to find ways to become a better ally and person. 

Anyways, let me share a little more about myself. Some of my favorite things are; coffee, cats, boba, Harry Potter, bright colors, fashion, flowers, crafting, swimming, crystals, skating, music, watching shows more than movies, and so many other tiiingggzzz!! 

I am not a huge fan of people who are not open to new ideas, barking dogs, sexist people, racist people, capitalistic people, getting sunburnt, etc. etc. 

I want to give a warning that some of my posts may include some rambles and me just processing things I have learned. They will be connected to a lot of things that one may not think that it relates to sex education, but it sure as hell does. Some of the posts will also include some little art pieces I have made to go along with the post. Well, there's a bit about me! I'll put some of my contact info below and I hope you enjoy this little piece of my brain :)

Instagram: @interconnected.being

Email: josselynapalma@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Customizing our lives

Do you have any relationships in your bubble that you admire and look up to? Whether that be romantic or not? Would you want a relationship ...